Charles Leclerc has won the Bahrain Grand Prix with his Ferrari teammate Carlos Sainz coming second in an amazing race to begin the 2022 season. Lewis Hamilton surprised everyone with a third place finish.
“That’s exactly how we should start the season. One, two baby, one two. Mamma mia,” Leclerc says through the radio as he also picks up a fastest lap bonus point, too.
Max Verstappen was looking to bring in a second place finish for Red Bull but suffered from engine gremlins within the last few laps. Then, with Hamilton ready with DRS to overtake Sergio Perez, the Red Bull driver span allowing Hamilton to take third place on the final lap of the race. George Russell followed the British driver in fourth.
What a race for @ScuderiaFerrari
— Formula 1 (@F1) March 20, 2022
Kevin Magnussen of Haas also surprised fans coming fifth, making the American-owned team proud.
Top 10 places:
- Charles Leclerc (Ferrari)
- Carlos Sainz (Ferrari) +5.5
- Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) +9.6
- George Russell (Mercedes) +11.2
- Kevin Magnussen (Haas) +14.7
- Valtteri Bottas (Alfa Romeo) +16.1
- Esteban Ocon (Alpine) + 19.4
- Yuki Tsunoda (Alpha Tauri) +20.3
- Fernando Alonso (Alpine) +22.3
- Zhou Guanyu (Alfa Romeo) +23
- Mick Schumacher (Haas) +32.5
- Lance Stroll (Aston Martin) +45.8
- Alexander Albon (Williams) +53.9
- Daniel Ricciardo (McLaren) +54.9
- Lando Norris (McLaren) +56.3
- Nicholas Latifi (Williams) +61.7
- Nico Hulkenberg (Aston Martin) +63.8
DNF – Sergio Perez (Red Bull), Max Verstappen (Red Bull), Pierre Gasly (Alpha Tauri)