I’ve quite enjoyed Subaru’s latest stint on social media. They’re suddenly portraying a more exciting marketing team to match their already exciting cars. It’s almost like they’ve recently found the key to producing a viral video.
They don’t care about Nürburgring lap records or ads filled with glossy paintwork anymore, but instead are embracing their AWD, go anywhere, do anything nature. And it’s working.
It was only two weeks ago when they let former World Rally driver, Mark Higgins drive a WRX STI down the St. Moritz bobsled run. That car, by the way, only had the addition of a roll cage, thinner and spiked tyres, and chassis strengtheners on impact points. That’s what Subaru has told us at least. Very impressive.
— Mark Higgins (@Mhigginsrally) March 17, 2017
That video has gained more than 1.5 million views on YouTube, and is still climbing.
Their latest treat for us wide-eyed viewers shows off the redesigned 2018 Subaru WRX and WRX STI, both in a considerably sideways manner.
So what’s new with these models?
- Revised suspension tuning
- Driver Controlled Center Differential (STI only)
- Brembo monoblock calipers (6 pistons in the front and 2 in the rear, STI
- Larger-diameter rotors are cross-drilled for better heat management (STI
- 19-inch alloy wheels wrapped in 245/35R 19 tires (STI only)
- Recaro® performance seats (Available on WRX Premium, WRX STI and
WRX STI Limited)
- 6.3-inch multifunction display with turbo boost gauge
- LED Steering Responsive Headlights (WRX Limited and STI Only)
The WRX features a direct injected 2 litre turbo 4-cyl boxer engine, making 268hp and 258 lb-ft of torque.
The STI trumps that with an extra half a litre, making 37 more horsepower and 32 extra lb-ft, but as usual with the STi model, I expect the power to come on further up the power band compared to the WRX.
In this ‘spotlight’ video we watch professional drivers wrestle these cars over dirt and tarmac for our own viewing pleasure, so make sure you’re sitting comfortably, and take a few minutes out of your busy day to enjoy some sideways Subaru action.