If I had to count the number of times I mentioned that the Supra shares a loads of bits and pieces with BMW’s Z4, I’d probably get just about as bored as I am when I mention that the Supra is basically a BMW. Been there, done that, let’s move onto something fun. How about a 2020 Supra with 1,000hp? Yep, that’s more like it.
The single-turbo inline six engine that the Supra has tucked under its bonnet creates a perfectly balanced 335hp, but quite easily, Stephan Papadakis at Papadakis Racing is looking at making something with more… guts.
The BMW B58B30 engine is quite ready to produce four figures’ worth of power, so watch the video below and see how they manage it.
The modifications are as follows:
- Improved air intake, able to give seven parts air to one part E85 ethanol (by mass)
- Replace the stock turbo with a BorgWarner EFR 9280 turbo
- Six, 2,000cc fuel injectors with a completely new intake manifold with an air-to-air intercooler instead of the stock water-to-air
- Forged pistons which can handle greater heat from combustion and stronger piston rods
- Current crankshaft is strong enough to take 1,000hp.
- Expanded exhaust ports for improved air flow
The next video will surely be a dyno run of the improved engine. That sound and inevitable performance, well, we can’t wait.