The Grand Tour’s triumphal procession among the programs produced by Amazon carries forward. The car show proved to be a huge financial success due to its worldwide viewer numbers, as we reported a few weeks ago. Also, The Grand Tour turned out to be the most viewed title on Amazon in the UK during November and December. As the Gfk (a consumer research group in the UK) reports, it amounted to eight percent of all views in November and 17 percent in December.
According to a study conducted by the GfK, getting access to exclusive video content was the second most popular reason why people chose to sign up for an Amazon-Prime membership. Around 22 percent of Amazon’s users indicated this reason. Most of those people also stated that they signed up because of The Grand Tour. The study also discovered the following findings:
- 68 percent of The Grand Tour’s viewers claimed to be fans of Top Gear
- 52 percent said they were fans of the show’s hosts
- 55 percent of viewers believed that TGT was superior to old Top Gear
- 45 percent deemed the show to be better than they expected
- The subscriber rate to Amazon Prime regarding the TGT release was the highest since June 2016 (when Mr. Robot season 2 was released)
- GfK estimates the actual viewers numbers to be around 2.3 million. In comparison, the GfK asserts, 2.1 million adults reportedly watched Game of Thrones during the same time on Sky Atlantic
- On a ten point scale, the average rating of The Grand Tour was 8.6. This score exceeds other high rated shows on Amazon (like Bosch or Transparent). It is also way higher than the average rating of all Amazon shows put together (which is 7.9)
To find out more about the study, you can go to the GfK’s website and download their infographic sheet. What do you think of the studies findings? Did they surprise you? Let us know in the comments below!